Monday, September 20, 2010

Newsflash: You don't get a do-over

If you have been following Lisa Murckowscki's sad, sore loser rhetoric regarding her write-in campaign, you have probably noticed statements like these:
Believe you me, the easier path would be to pack it all up and go do something different,” she said. “If I had not heard this call from Alaskans, I would not be deliberating as I am...

It is people from all walks of life, every corner of the state, who are concerned about Alaska’s future and concerned enough to take action on it,” she said. “I’m a public servant. My job by definition is to listen to my constituents. And there was a process in place — a primary election — that’s certainly one way that you listen to your constituents.
Or like these:
Murkowski said Friday that Miller's tally was just 11.9 percent of Alaska registered voters, although state Republican Party Chair Ruedrich called it a Republican primary turnout record.

She said she kept hearing from Alaskans who felt they couldn't vote for either Miller or the Democratic nominee for the U.S. Senate seat, Sitka Mayor Scott McAdams.

Murkowski said that "to the tens of thousands of you who didn't vote in the primary, I ask you to join us. ... your vote has never, never been more important...
She's hearing from people who feel like they cannot vote for Miller or McAdams? Where were all of these people during the primary? She gives a shout out to the "tens of thousands" who supposedly didn't vote in the primary... but that's their own fault. In American politics you do not get a do-over. I understand that Murrkowskee and her supporters feel jilted. I would too if I had been lazy or cocky enough to stay home during a primary. These people are basically upending our system to suit their own needs. They didn't feel like doing the legwork to get Merkousky through the primaries and so now they are scoffing at the process we all agree to, because losing sucks and they apparently can't handle it. And losing especially sucks when you have no one else to blame but yourself.

Murkousckey - It's time to behave like an adult. You don't get a do-over.

1 comment:

  1. Actually, it appears she DOES get a do-over: She will probably get many write-in votes in November. How well she does remains to be seen. We know from Ralph Nader's perennial candidacies that the Dems have a very good chance of taking that seat.


I believe in free speech, including offensive speech, and especially political speech. Comments that are left on my blog do not necessarily represent my views nor do I necessarily endorse them. I am not responsible for other people's views or comments. That is how the 1st Amendment works.