Friday, December 18, 2009

Great Explanation

I love it when I find really eloquent and simple explanations for complicated ideas. The following is from a Heritage Foundation article about the unconstitutionality of the individual mandate. There are many great quotes to be found in the article, but this one stuck out for me.
The purpose of this compulsory contract, coupled with the arbitrary price ratios and controls, is to require many people to buy artificially high-priced policies to subsidize coverage for others as well as an industry saddled with other government costs and regulations.

Boom. That's it. So simple. The individual mandate forces you to buy a health insurance policy at a higher price than it would be normally so that people who are uninsured can have subsidized or free insurance. Feel better?


In other news about responsible people being punished for the sake of the irresponsible, I just met a woman today who owns a house in Florida, but rents a small apartment here in Seattle. She and her husband have been trying to sell the Florida house for ages, but of course are having a tough time. They are able to make the payments right now, but it's really hard on their family. She told me that the only way the bank will renegotiate her loan is if she stops paying her mortgage. Yup. She and her husband are doing the right thing by paying the monthly mortgage, but the rewards go to the people who shirk their responsibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe in free speech, including offensive speech, and especially political speech. Comments that are left on my blog do not necessarily represent my views nor do I necessarily endorse them. I am not responsible for other people's views or comments. That is how the 1st Amendment works.