Tuesday, September 15, 2009

My 9/12 Wrap-Up. Sorry for the Delay!

I was there. I have the sunburn to prove it. I am the proud new owner of a lot of pro-freedom schwag, like buttons that say, “I’m a Conservative and proud of it,” and “Liberty NOT Tyranny: Freedom of Choice.”

I met a Vietnam Vet from Texas; a lil’ ol’ senator from South Carolina named Jim DeMint; a young woman who survived a violent physical assault earlier this year who hopes to partake in “dolphin therapy” one day (dolphin therapy is a form of therapy utilized by the survivors’ support group, Joyful Heart Foundation, founded by actress Mariska Hargitay); I met a mom and her teenage son from Connecticut; I met teachers, coal miners, small business owners, retired couples, soldiers, artists, young politicos, bloggers, stay-at-home moms, truck drivers, bartenders, immigrants, families with babies, grandparents, and on and on.

I met Americans who were there after saving for months and those that gave up their summer vacations to make a stand and draw a line in the sand, daring Congress and President Obama to cross it.

Can you hear us now?

Before I give you my breakdown of the day’s events, I will address the size question. Based on the Capitol Hill Police’s own schematic used to estimate the crowd size at Obama’s inauguration, I can tell you, without a shadow of a doubt, we were at 250,000 to 300,000 shortly after I arrived at the Capitol building. A good friend of mine who is heavily involved in Seeds of Liberty up in Monroe was there and he spoke with a Capitol Hill Policeman who told him that this was the biggest crowd he had ever seen, including inauguration crowd for Obama. The Vietnam Vet I met happened to get a text from a friend, while we were talking, who had just spoken to a cop that estimated the crowd at 1.2 million. At the very, very least, the media should be using the phrase, “hundreds of thousands,” but some media outlets have already said, “Thousands gathered in D.C. to protest government spending...”

Do I have aerial photographs to prove it? No, sadly I don’t have access to a helicopter or a billionaire sugar daddy like Soros, so you’ll have to take my word for it. I have been able to find some pictures online that attempt to corroborate the initial estimates of ABC, CNN and the UK’s Daily Mail (here, here, here and here.) I am really peeved (that’s the nice word) at the organizers for not having a contingency plan for the possibility that we would reach a number like a million. Thus far it seems like they did not anticipate that kind of crowd and so did not have resources available to document it. It seems like a basic, basic weapon to have in one’s arsenal - i.e. documentation of a successful operation to wave gloriously in your opponent’s face. No wonder we are light years behind in the media/popular culture war.

And now for my account of the day.

My friends and I started out at around 8:00 a.m. We swung by Starbuck’s and grabbed drinks and early morning eats, and headed on down to Freedom Plaza. I stayed with my friend who lives there (thanks!) and she lives within walking distance so it was pretty sweet. When we showed up, the plaza was already packed, though it was definitely not teeming/overflowing yet. I was nervous it would stay that size, which was already numbering in the thousands - an hour before the event was schedule to begin. I hoped the crowd would grow exponentially.

For about two and a half hours I handed out some “Obama Credit Cards,” for which our tagline was, “Spend money just like the President!” and “Everybody gets a trillion!” and “Want to spend other people’s money like the President does? It’s so easy with the new ObamaCard!” To say that these were a hit would be the understatement of the year. People loved them and sometimes doubled over in fits of laughter. Many people took half a dozen more for friends and family back home.

The only way I can describe what was happening while I passed out cards is to say that there was a constant and heavy stream of people moving towards Freedom Plaza from every street, from every direction The march from Freedom Plaza to the Capitol was scheduled to begin at 11:30 a.m. but at around 10:30 a.m. we noticed that people seemed to be moving. Apparently the police had asked the organizers to start the march an hour early because we had too many people there.

We started walking down Pennsylvania Avenue towards the Capitol building. It was incredible. We passed by the Newseum, which has the First Amendment etched into the front of the building. I think everyone walking by deeply appreciated what that right meant to us at that moment. (Photo courtesy of And Still I Persist)

We arrived at the Capitol and by this time the area to the sides of the Capitol, in front of the reflecting pool, and around the reflecting pool were filled to capacity with people – and Pennsylvania Avenue was still completely packed with people marching. This is why, when using the schematic that the D.C. police used to estimate the size of the inauguration crowd, I know we numbered at least 500,000 by the end of the day. There is no possible way that we added up to a mere “tens of thousands” because by the time I got there we were already in the “hundreds of thousands” range. I then broke away from my friends and dove into the crowd to work my way up to the front.

Yeah right. There was no way I was getting much closer! The crowd was packed so tightly that I barely managed to find a spot directly in front of the reflecting pool. It was here that I was able to meet people and shared in conversation with so many different people from across this nation.

Eventually I moved further to side and up just a bit so that I could hear better. Freedom Works states that their sound system was guaranteed up to 100,000 people. I could barely hear from my first stop, implying, again, that we had many more than 100,000. From my second perch I met even more patriots. It was the first time many of us had ever been around so many like-minded folks and it truly made my heart swell. When you live in the lion’s den of liberalism you tend to forget that you are not alone, and sharing that afternoon with hundreds of thousands of other lovely, lovely people that share my values was breathtaking.

The guest speakers were wonderful, and they included regular folks as well as directors or representatives of various organizations such as the Cato Institute, the Ayn Rand Center for Individual Rights, Tea Party Patriots, Freedom Works, and so on. Representative Mike Pence (R-IN) and Senator Jim DeMint (R-SC) both said a few brief words of encouragement and made a point to say that they were there as fellow citizens, standing shoulder to shoulder with us, rather than as elected officials there to speak at us. But the best part was simply the camaraderie and strength we all felt. I've never been to any event with so many open and friendly people. It was like we were all already friends.

I hope the momentum and the activism do not dry up. I know that the opposition is salivating at the thought that this event was our last hurrah and that we will now fizzle out. Please do not let that happen. Do not stop now. I keep thinking of the soldiers fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan. Their fight for freedom never lets up. They don’t really get to just put down their gun and say forget it, this is too hard. We all have to fight for freedom at some point. Our time is now. Continue the fight, just as our soldiers must do every single day. That fight is their burden, and this fight is ours, here at home.

Lastly, our message to Obama, Pelosi, Reid, MoveOn.org, the DNC, MSNBC, CNN, Organizing for America, and every other little punk-ass “progressive,” collectivist, statist think tank, activist group, propaganda mill, politician, and joe schmoe:

Do it. We dare you. Oh, and don’t let the door hit you on the way out.


  1. Thank you Belle for traveling all that way to speak for us. We have only begun to fight.
    Some questions for you and your readers.
    Barney Frank almost single handedly brought down our banking system and yet he has never been censured by the House. Charlie Rangle is a serial tax cheat and he has never been censured by the House. The list could go on and on yet they censure Joe Wilson for telling the Truth. What has happened to America? How did things get so far out of whack? Why are these people still in power instead of sitting in a prison cell?

  2. You are a brave woman. I am so encouraged to see people your age taking a stand for liberty.



  3. Liberty Belle,
    We were there too, my husband and I. All the way from Bellevue, WA.

    We stayed in Alexandria. Got on a Metro Train at the King St Station around 10:30am. We encountered a handful of 9/12 Marchers making their way to DC. At each stop on the way, more and more Marchers loaded onto our train until it was packed like sardines. I knew then this march was going to be BIG. I imagined all the other Metro trains coming from all directions at different times that morning no doubt filled to capacity with Marchers heading for Freedom Plaza.

    Every one on the train had grins a mile wide in anticipation of what was to come. We all poured out of the subway station and onto Pennsylvania Ave near Freedom Plaza at 11:00am. We were stunned at the number of people and the crowd was already moving towards the Capital. We stood on the sidewalk drinking in the sight of this amazing thing. My husband took pictures and then turned to me and asked, "Well, are you ready to dive in?" So we cheerfully waded in towards the middle of the crowd and began our slow march to the Capital. I could not see the beginning nor the end of the crowd. It was an incredible experience. The air positively vibrated with this palpable sense of "goodness". That's the best I can describe it. I didn't know any of these people, yet I knew I was amongst friends of the highest order. Ordinary folks of all ages. People who had jumped many hurdles and spent a good chunk of change to make it to this spot on earth for this day, for this event, to be with me, to be with you, to make a point. Absolutely the best thing I've ever known in my whole life.

    As we marched the crowd would chant USA! USA! USA! and CAN YOU HEAR US NOW. The most amazing thing was what I call the 'Voice Wave'. Coming up from the rear of the crowd would be ululations like a wave until it reached us and then those around us would ululate momentarily and the ululations would carry forward and so on until it reached the front of the line I suppose. Difficult to describe. But what a thrill.

    And then we came to the front of the Newseum where people in the crowd started to yell, "Read the Wall, read the wall." And there, to our left in huge carved letters on a wall of the Newseum was the First Amendment. The crowd stopped momentarily to take it all in. The import was huge and goose-bump inducing. And then we began to move again. We were ushered onto 3rd Street and the only space available to fill in was on the grass at the back side of the reflecting pool at the Capital. We were so tired the best we could do was to flop down on an open patch of grass. Three people flopped down in front of us and we struck up a conversation with them. They were a married couple accompanied by the man's female cousin. From Pennsylvania. Very nice people. The crowd was huge around us and milling about, but we did not get stepped on.

    After a bit we realized we couldn't hear the PA system, so decided to move off to a better locale. We went back out to 3rd St and noted the hearse emblazoned with "ObamaCare-Official Pace Car". Too funny. We found a shady spot under the big trees where we could hear the PA system, laid out a poncho as a blanket on the lawn and sat down to listen to the speakers. The whole experience seemed so surreal to me, a 100% west coast girl who had never been back east before this. And there I was, a part of this historical event in a place I had only seen pictures of and read about, laying on the lawn of the Capital Building amongst hundreds of thousands of like-minded patriotic Americans. It was as if I'd come to the biggest family reunion of all time. If we all decide to do this again next year, we will surely do our best to come back.

    Here is a link to view the wonderful pictures my husband took before, during and after the march:


    You are welcome to download them and post them on your website.

    Your Comrade in Liberty,
    (yep, I'm the lady who recommended you take a weekend off. I hope you have been rejuvenated).


I believe in free speech, including offensive speech, and especially political speech. Comments that are left on my blog do not necessarily represent my views nor do I necessarily endorse them. I am not responsible for other people's views or comments. That is how the 1st Amendment works.