Thursday, September 17, 2009

American Diabetes Association Loves ObamaCare

Did you know that the American Diabetes Association wants health care reform now?

Did you know that they have put together a factsheet separating myths from facts?

Me neither. If you click around through their website you see all sorts of subtle references to ObamaCare through the language they use. What you do not see is any sort of concrete evidence or references to back up their claims and positions.

I decided to call the ADA and ask them what this was all about. The woman I spoke with put me on hold for a minute while she searched around for her official statement. She told me that the ADA is supportive of nonpartisan reforms and that their goal is to ensure that said reforms do not harm people suffering with diabetes.

Gosh, that sounds nice doesn't it? What an innocent sounding... bunch of crap.

How do I know that it's crap? Because I can read. Below are the screen shot of the two pages linked above.





This is no sweet little attempt at protecting people with diabetes. Which, by the way, brings up another point. Are we to have every single advocacy group representing every single illness, disorder, infection, disease, etc. demanding their own special protections and handouts?

But back to their cute little, casual official statement. The big problem is that their petition and factsheet both aggressively defend "reform." They also aggressively go after those that seem to oppose said "reform." Here is the problem. They never define "reform." They never mention any specific bill or legislation, or even specific policy ideas! Which then makes their factsheet look really suspicious because they are highlighting "myths" that are specific to HR 3200 and the HELP bill in the Senate. The criticisms that people, including me, have offered are not criticisms of "reform," but rather of very specific bills and very specific portions of those bills.

I asked the woman on the phone if they support HR 3200 or HELP and she had no answer. I asked her if the ADA thinks it is appropriate to show cagey, vague support for a specific piece of legislation without actually stating that they endorse it, while simultaneously attacking the specific criticisms against the bill they pretend doesn't exist. No answer there either.

Let's help the ADA come out of the closet and own up to their support of HR 3200, HELP, and ultimately of ObamaCare. My guess is they are afraid to lose membership a la the American Medical Association (AMA).

Call them at 1-800-342-2383 between 8:30 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time. You can write them at:

American Diabetes Association
ATTN: National Call Center
1701 North Beauregard Street
Alexandria, VA 22311

The people answering the phones may not have any sort of answer so I suggest asking to speak with someone further up the food chain.

1 comment:

  1. Im a diabetic and a member of ADA. I received the same email and called them. They had to call me back too, just like you experienced. I asked generally the same questions you mention above and specifically what reform they referenced too. No answers, just generalized BS. I didn't push it any further with the no nothing on the telephone, no need to. I had my answer already just from listening to her non-answers.

    ReplyDelete

I believe in free speech, including offensive speech, and especially political speech. Comments that are left on my blog do not necessarily represent my views nor do I necessarily endorse them. I am not responsible for other people's views or comments. That is how the 1st Amendment works.